Over the past 50 years, CHKD has grown into a 206-bed teaching hospital that is the heart of an extensive pediatric healthcare system.
Every day, dozens of children are admitted to our hospital and thousands more are cared for at our primary care pediatric practices, surgical practices, urgent care centers, specialty clinics, and multi-service health centers in Virginia Beach, Newport News, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Hampton, Suffolk, and Elizabeth City, NC. The Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at CHKD is the region’s top referral center for pediatric cancer, sickle cell disease, and blood disorders and follows more than 500 pediatric cancer patients each year. Many of CHKD’s services and programs address pressing public health needs that would otherwise go unmet.
Our Charity — 2021 By the Numbers:
- 401,439 patient visits to 30 locations.
- 5,639 hospital admissions.
- 13,340 pediatric surgery cases.
- 185,229 visits to outpatient clinics.
- 52,704 emergency department visits.
- 85,465 urgent care visits.
- More than 500 pediatric cancer patients treated each year